POWERbreathe is an Inspiratory Muscle Trainer, exercising and strengthening the muscles we use to breathe.
Inspiratory Muscle Training (IMT) is scientifically proven to benefit patients with respiratory illness and healthy people, including athletes at all levels of competition, including Olympians.
Randomised controlled trials have shown the efficacy of POWERbreathe in populations as diverse as highly trained endurance athletes, as well as patients with COPD and asthma.
POWERbreathe training is particularly helpful in the following contexts:
- All sports, including sprint sports and high altitude sports and training
- Treatment of breathlessness and exercise limitation due to illness, including respiratory, cardiovascular and neuromuscular, or simply due to advancing age
- Core stability training for injury prevention and the management of low back pain, postural instability and neuromuscular rehabilitation
- Physically demanding occupational situations where breathing demand is raised
- Settings in which the rib cage is restricted by clothing or equipment, such as protective clothing ensembles worn by the uniformed services
- Settings where loads are carried on the thorax, such as military rucksacks and army Bergens
- Settings demanding manual handling and load carriage, whether in an office, factory, warehouse or retail environment
- Settings where breathing apparatus is used (self-contained and filtration), such as woodworking and fire fighting
- Performing artists, including singers / vocalists, actors and dancers as well as teachers and public speakers where deep breathing, breathing control and voice projection are required
- Wind musicians who are required to take deeper breaths, control the breath and have the ability to sustain forceful breathing
Inspiratory muscle training (IMT), such as training with POWERbreathe, is not recommended for;
- Patients with a history of spontaneous pneumothorax (a collapsed lung that was not due to traumatic injury e.g. broken rib), as it may lead to a recurrence of the condition.
- Following a traumatic pneumothorax and/or broken rib, IMT, such as POWERbreathe, should not be used prior to full recovery.
- If you are suffering from a cold, sinusitis or respiratory tract infection, we advise that you do not use POWERbreathe until symptoms have disappeared.
If you have any doubts about the suitability of POWERbreathe, or you have a medical condition, please consult your doctor.
Anyone who is under the age of 16 should only use POWERbreathe with supervision from an adult. POWERbreathe contains small parts and is not suitable for children under 3 years.
Click here to view the Powerbreathe range from Wiggle